Thursday 10 December 2009

The journey begins

I want to record my adventure / journey / trial - don't know which one of those three it's going to be yet - of discovering FreeSwitch (www.freeswitch.org). [from now on, I'm calling FreeSwitch "FS". I'm kinda lazy that way] All of the highs, lows and WTF ? moments. Hopefully this will serve as a guide to other brave souls who want to make the same journey.

As I am a long-time Asterisk (www.asterisk.org) user, this will be an interesting journey, because my mindset is so linked to asterisk, it may be difficult to grasp the concepts of FS. However, I hope that by doing this I will not only help myself discover the features of FS, but provide help for other asterisk users who want to add FS to their armory.

Why FS ? Why not stick to Asterisk ? I think I have to be honest here. I want to see what FS has to offer over Asterisk. I want to see if it would provide other / extra solutions. I want to see how it compares. I also believe that having more than one tool in my PBX toolchest will not only increase my awareness and knowledge of PBX systems but also allow my to use the most appropriate toolset no matter what the circumstances.

Having said all of that, if I wasn't the investigating / discovering type I never would have found and used Asterisk in the first place. Same goes for FS.

No comments:

Post a Comment